Frequently asked questions

Commonly asked questions about our services

What expenses can I claim?

The more expenses you can claim, the less tax you’ll pay. If you use your home to conduct business, you are entitled to claim a fair and reasonable portion of the house outgoings. Usually, the proportion you can claim is based on the area used for business purposes, as a percentage of the total area of the home. Some claimable expenses include:

  • Interest on borrowing money for the business
  • Some insurance premiums
  • Work-related magazines and journals
  • Membership to your professional associations
  • Home office expenses
  • Work-related mobile phones and phone bills
  • Stationery
  • Power
  • Mortgage Interest
  • Rates
  • Accountant’s fees

Check out this visual guide for more information on what you can claim for when you work from home.

Getting a tax agent or accountant to complete your GST and income tax returns often ends up saving you money as they know all the things you can claim for.

What are ACC levies and how do they work?

ACC provides personal injury cover for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand. ACC uses a risk-based class system so that the costs of injuries at work are evenly distributed amongst similar businesses.

Whether you are a self-employed person or shareholder employee or an employer, you are required to pay ACC levies. There is an alternative insurance cover for self-employed and shareholder employees. It provides an opportunity for these people to obtain better cover and potentially make some savings on the levies they pay. It is a complex area so you should only deal with insurance advisors that specialise in this type of cover. If you would like to speak with the small business insurance expert we prefer to use ourselves, get in touch today and will pass on your details.

What is provisional tax and should I be paying it?

For new businesses provisional tax can seem a bit confusing. Provisional tax is a system for paying your income tax in the actual year that the income is earned in. Tax returns are filed at the end of the tax year so it is not possible to know exactly how much tax should be paid. Even though we don’t know the exact amount payable throughout the year, individuals estimate their tax as accurately as possible and make ‘voluntary payments’ to the IRD on certain dates throughout the year. You do this because the IRD charges you interest back to these dates if you haven’t paid enough. Talk to us today about getting set up correctly to take the uncertainty away from provisional tax.

Do I need to register for GST and can you help with my registration and compliance?

Yes we can take the hassle out of this for you. As you might expect we have significant experience in GST registration and handling the correspondence with the IRD which takes the stress away from your day-to-day life.

How easy is it to switch accountants to SBA Takapuna?

We’ve made things quick and easy for you to change from your old accountant to Small Business Accounting Takapuna. All you need to do is give us your most up-to-date accounting files and complete a simple authority form, then we’ll take care of the rest.

Is there a minimum term or contract with SBA Takapuna?

No, we offer our services on a monthly pay as you go basis. We don’t believe in locking our clients into excessively long contracts. All our monthly accounting plans are fully flexible and whilst we don’t have many clients leave, you can do so without any cancellation fees.

I don’t live in Auckland, do we need to meet in person?

Being local is good for some but doing things online for growing number clients is more convenient. Yes we can still help you if you are not able to stop into our office. Our process is quick and easy to get you set up no matter where you live in New Zealand. We look after a large number of small business and contractors around the country via phone, email and online. If you are looking for an accountant that specialises in contractors and small business, we would love to hear from you.